To encourage greater local participation in the State's transportation planning and project development process, the Oregon Transportation Commission has chartered regionally-based, advisory bodies called "area commissions on transportation."
The Northwest Oregon Area Commission on Transportation (NWACT) has been chartered to address Columbia, Clatsop, Tillamook, and the western portion of Washington counties transportation issues. NWACT serves as a standing committee of the NW Oregon Regional Partnership.
- Forum to advance the public awareness and understanding of transportation issues
- Prioritize aea modernization project recommendations for the Development STIP and Construction STIP
- Make recommendations to ODOT regarding special funding opportunities and programs
- Communicate and coordinate regional priorities with other ODOT regions and ACTS, the Governor's Econoimc Revitalization Team, Regional Partnerships and Regional Investment Boards and ODOT advisory committees
- Advise on ODOT corridor plans or local transportation system plans (TSPs)
- Advise the Oregon Transportation Commission (OTC) on State and regional policies affecting the transportation system.
All work and interaction with the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) and the Oregon Transportation Commission (OTC) are the responsibility of NWACT.
- Meetings are inclusive, open to the public and ADA-accessible.
US DOT has released the federal FY 2015 National Infrastructure Investment grant program (TIGER 2015) notice of funding availability. TIGER 2015 provides $500 million for surface transportation construction projects across all modes. Pre-applications are due May 4, 2015 and final applications are due June 5, 2015. US DOT's TIGER grant webpage provides information about the program, including the notice of funding availability (NOFA).
In order to help Oregon projects compete effectively, ODOT will serve as a partners for local applications that impact the state highway system and offer letters of support from the Oregon Transportation Commission for all meritorious applications.
Requesting ODOT Support
To request ODOT support for a TIGER application, please send your pre-application and any supporting materials to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by May 4. ODOT staff will review proposals and make recommendations to the OTC on which projects to support and partner on at their meeting on May 21. Additional information, including a fact sheet developed by ODOT is available on ODOT's TIGER 2015 website.
NWACT Work Activities
- Develop an understanding of ODOT programs and the effectiveness of each program within the region in meeting the area's transportation needs.
- Select and prioritize regional, district, section and local transportation projects.
- Educate local constituencies on transportation programs, funding and issues.
- Develop a workplan for NWACT activities that includes:
-Inventorying transportation needs/issues and proposed solutions
-Prioritizing needs/issues and solutions for ODOT's Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) and Oregon Transportation Investment Act (OTIA) projects
-Implement an educational outreach and public involvement program